my heart skips a beat and it takes my breathe. Whats wrong ?

In the middle of talking, every now and then, my heart skips a beat and it takes my breathe. I also assumed it was because I was talking a lot, and running out of breathe, so there wasn t enough oxygen going to my brain or something of that sort. But I was outside talking to my boyfriend and it seemed like it skipped for a long period of time, I went to feel my pulse and there was nothing for what seemed like 3 or 4 seconds. Then when it picked back up, it was beating a little faster then normal... I do get heart palpitations.. My heart will race for no reason sometimes. I get dizzy and feel faint. Is this something normal that happens to a lot of people or does it sound like something more serious? I don t think love makes your heart skip beats... and I know how to check my pulse, because I find myself doing it all the time, since my heart races and skips beats often. Also, I highly doubt lung cancer, since I don t smoke, and I m only 21. (Female, not over weight, if this has anything to do with anything.) I ve had the racing heart problem since I was in like 11th grade. I noticed it after school one day, it was beating so fast I felt like I was going to faint. My mother told me it might be due to caffeine and sugar, so I stopped drinking soda and stopped eating things with so much sugar. It doesn t happen as often now, but sometimes if I bend over too quickly, or sit down/stand up, it happens.
Thu, 6 May 2010