Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Why would a child show physical signs of puberty although blood test shows no hormonal changes?

Why would a 9 year old girl show physical signs of puberty (advanced bone age; breast tanner stage ii, underarm hair ) but after complete and thorough work-up, show no evidence of hormonal changes to suggest puberty has been initiated? In other words, no suppression has been recommended, because there is nothing to suppress.
Asked On : Sat, 6 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma because there is no corelation between the clinical and pathological diagnosis in the girl's case. I would suggest that the hormonal work-up should be repeated as there can be some laboratory discrepancy which should be excluded.

The clinical notes should be followed-up to see the progress over the next 6-9 months. In this way it shall be documented if the physical signs are progressing or are just stationary.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.


Answered: Sat, 20 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor