What is the treatment for enlarged tonsillitis in a child?

Enlarged adenoids: Hi, my 2 1/2 year old has enlarged adenoids and enlarged tonsils. The main problem is that he is constantly congested, often breathes through his mouth and is snoring during the night. However, he does not appear to have any other symptoms related to enlarged adenoids, such as sinus infections, sleep apnea or other infections. He is overall a healthy boy. The doctor, however, recommended that we remove his adenoids. We are a little skeptical about surgery because he is only 2 ½ and I read that surgery is safe after age 4. So, my question is, is surgery safe at age 2 ½, what are possible complications during and after surgery, will the problem of snoring and mouth breathing go away, and how can we alleviate the problem without surgery or at least until he is 4. Thank you.
Fri, 8 Dec 2017
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response
Hi..... Greetings from Chennai. I understand your concern. By what you say I feel that your child might be having moderate to severe persistent allergic rhinitis along with an upper airway resistance syndrome.

Previously the only treatment for upper airway resistance syndrome used to be surgery or adenotonsillectomy.

But now advanced the modalities of treatment have come up, like intranasal steroids which can be given up to a period of 4 to 8 weeks and after which many kids are recovering without the need for surgery. This treatment will take care of the moderate to severe persistent allergic rhinitis also.

But this technique of administration of intranasal steroids is very important and should be talk to you by your pediatrician properly.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth