What causes soreness in the throat and tongue while suffering from dry mouth?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a mild sore throat for several weeks. I find lately that my tongue is sore and my mouth seems dry. Maybe I am stressed out and sucking on it without being aware. but I also notice that my voice is not the same
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

Dry mouth can cause both soreness in throat and tongue due to irritation of mucosa caused due to lack of saliva..

So please provide following details so that I can guide you better:

-Do you take any medication?
-Do you have any white coating on tongue and/or throat?
-Do you have any medical problems?
-Since how long are the symptoms present?
-Do you have mouth breathing habit?
-Do you also experience symptoms like dryness and irritation in eyes?

Please revert back with answers..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 11 hours later
I am not on any medication.
I guess when I look, there is some white particularly towarde the back of my tongue. Throat just feels kind of raw.
I have been in good health and am very active.
the sore throat has been going on about a month, the tongue issue I jst started noticing a few weeks ago.
No mouth breathing
No issue with eyes that I notice
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
As per your answers it looks like fungal/ yeast Infection known as Oral Thrush..

It can cause dryness in mouth as well as sore throat and tongue..

So for a confirmation you should consult an Oral Physician and get a clinical examination done.

For now start gargling with antifungal Mouthwash like Nystatin mouthwash.
Chew sugar free chewing gum to reduce dryness in mouth.
Use a tongue scraper to clean the tongue daily..

Hope this helps..

Regards..