What causes red bumps on the posterior pharyngeal wall?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I recently spoke with an ENT on here and shared some pictures in which I had about 6-7 reddish bumps on the posterior wall of my pharynx. She said I had congestion of the pharyngeal wall with atrophy of the mucosa. I went to an ENT they said I had post nasal drip and I am a mouth breather when I sleep. They told me to take Flonase once a day and Zyrtec once a day, which I have for the past three weeks. Some of the bumps are now gone, I have just a couple left, but I have one large one in the center that has not gone away. It has decreased in size I would say by about 40-50% in the last three weeks. How long should it take to completely resolve. The ENT said that they may never completely go away, this is just a way to control them.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Posterior pharyngeal wall hypertrophy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to health care Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The posterior pharyngeal wall hypertrophy is due to post nasal drip caused by some nasal pathology or due to mouth breathing.
You should send me the picture of your throat and get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done.
The doctor is absolutely right that they don't disappear completely on medicines but correcting the underlying cause treats them.
Continue with nasal spray once daily and take tablet vitamin c once daily
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Here are two pics
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Posterior pharyngeal wall hypertrophy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the pictures.
You are having posterior pharyngeal wall congestion and hypertrophy.
You should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and send me.
Take the medicines as prescribed earlier. It will definitely help you with your symptoms.
Follow up with the reports so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana