What is the fastest way to quit smoking ?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Treatment/Therapy
's  Response
there's no substitute for will power

I am a very heavy smoker, more than 35 years, I have to give up smoking because my husband had a heart attack , what is the easiest way to give up smoking?

What happens to the tongue after the first time to smoke cigerattes , what changes in the tongue the colour or the look or what?? P.S , Please reply fastly , and tell me how to help someone not to try smoking for. The second time please there are people very close to me and I need help for them , so please I don t wanna lose them cause of smoking , please answer my question please , and tell me how to help someone quit after lots of years of smoking please. -thanks

Okay, well basically, I want to quit smoking, I have a calendar, I ve tried for months, and it s not good. I don t have IBS, but it sure does show up when I smoke, otherwise my stomach is an iron belly, but not when I smoke. I ve been smoking for 10 years by the way, and I m 25, I started at 16 and it s been terrible ever since. I use it to get through tough loads of school work, etc., but I know I don t need it and I know that mentally I ll be sharper and get even better grades than I am now if I quit. I am trying to increase my academic potential, my mental potential, and I have a hunch that quitting smoking will help me greatly, which is why I m sending my query here. I don t want a hunch, I want to know. When I smoke, I know effects of heart rate increase, blood flow decrease, etc., but what about neurons? I feel shaky and nervous when I smoke, it affects my social life, how do cigarettes affect neuron action potentials? I am in a radiography class, so you can imagine that shaky hands aren t good when trying to take a radiograph of my own hand for practice, etc. Ultimately my question is: Do cigarettes affect neuron action potentials, do they make them misfire (i.e. shaky hands, nervousness + anxiety)?

Recent questions on  Substance abuse

5 5, 178lbs, 28F, just diagnosed with ulcers (duodenal? and gastric) so I have been taking Ranitidine and Dexilant? I have been trying to quit smoking . I got stressed today and smoked a cigarette. After about 20 minutes I experiences a very severe throbbing/pulsating pain in my abdomen area. Very painful. It last for a few minutes and went away. I m worried that something is wrong. But I am not experiencing symptoms now so I m hesitant to go to urgent care. What does this sound like?

gastro problems caused primarily by alcohol abuse which resulted in jaundice and fatty liver condition. after some recovery from juandice I had started taking proxyvon in abuse and sort of a substitute for alcohol. what bad, and how bad adverse effects can this cause on the liver, stomach, etc,. my SGOT in a recent blood test came out high at 40 and SGPT at quite high of 87. what should i do?.. would a sudden stopping of this drug abuse cause problems, I m already having a bad stomach, and also am confused whether this stomach condition and weakness is caused by this abuse or could it just be because of a lack of proper food intake and the heat, coupled by exertion ?

so I have a parasite problem I feel and see them coming from my armpits little black obes it also feels XXXXXXX I have a big worm moving around my body when I can feel it when I push pretty hard on it another spot in my body cracks like the...

I filled out papers for pain management, but have not been to first appt. family doc. does not want to write script for oxycodone any more which if fine with me. but I am on lyrica and can get it from XXXXXXX clinic. would I get into any trouble...

hi doctor, I have a history of grand mal seizures and recently had one 3 wks ago at home,next thing I knew I was in the e.r. ,with a suspected dui against me ! my blood work came back neg. for etoh, ! I was currently on Chantix for quitting...

will doxycycline hyclate trigger a positive on a drug test for thc. I am a mental health therapist and certified substance abuse counselor. I had a client test positive for thc while taking this medication. I need to be able to intelligently tell a judge what the chance of this occurring could be. is there a site that could provide this information to me in writing.

hello.. i was diagnosed as OCD and am on rx with fluvoxamine, with good results. I was taking ZOLFRESH and became dependent on that for which i got admitted in NIMHANS for deaddiction. I also had two episodes of generalised seizures in pats one year. now for the same im taking divalproate 750 and baclofen 30. i want to know sine i was abusing zolfresh for almost 2 yeras and after deaddiction i have stopped it, what are the possibilitirs of relapse since craving is still there, and what are the health concern abt the abuse and any advice from urs side to make my life free from substance abuse.. thanks