What is the cause of recurring UTI's in a female and how can they be preveted ?

Hi, I am a 21 year old female and have been getting recurrent UTIs. I have had 4 UTIs in the past 6 months. I have tried micturation before and after sex, drinking lots of fluids, changing my underwear to cotton and not wearing tight pants in order to try decrease the recurrence but none have been working. I am now scared to have sex as I don t want another UTI. Why are the UTIs recurrent and is there anything else I can do to stop them reoccurring? Also can masturbation cause UTIs and how long after sex does UTIs normally occur? Thanks so much for all your help.
Wed, 18 Jan 2012