What is the alternative medicine to propecia?

Does this medication contain the same ingredients as propecia? I am 58 take propecia and it is very expensive...insurance does not cover any of the cost. It has been suggested that this medication could replace it and if cutting the pill in quarters and taking one quarter daily that this would have the same effect as one pill of propecia daily.
Thu, 3 Jun 2021

As your question does not contain the name / description of other drug, you are talking about. However, you can check on the wrapper of drug, whether it contains the same ingredient as in propecia. The active ingredient of propecia is Finasteride. I do not know, for which indication, you are using this drug.

For male type alopecia, its dose is 1 mg/day, where as for prostatic enlargement, its dose is 5 mg/day. Kindly check the strength of your tablet and take the exact dose, as prescribed by your doctor. Higher dose may increase the likelihood of side effects, whereas the lower dose may not be as effective. Therefore, it is always better to take the exact prescribed dose for this.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician