What causes unsteady gait and weakness in the legs post recovery from stroke?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: I am 75 years of age and have recovered from a small cerebellar stroke three years ago.My medication is Tamulosin 400mg, Amoldipine 10mg, Clopidogrel 75mg, Simvastatin 20mg, Propanalol 40mg and Finasteride 5mg. I have an non-repaired ruptured right anterior cruciate ligament.

I have felt rather unsteady for the past few months as if I am walking on ice and my right leg feels to slip from under my foot but it actually doesn't and I'm not drunk!
Should I battle on or seek advice from my GP please?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I recommend you seek advice from your GP!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this problem that you have reported. I have reviewed your information and this increases your risk of falls. Falls at your age are very dangerous and carry huge consequences. I will recommend that you seek proper evaluation and management so as to avoid any possible falls and the devastating consequences.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.