What causes pubic area lumps and penile irritation after intercourse?

Doc, I have a serious issue.. I had unprotected sex with my wife for the first time in about 11 months. I've been deployed to Iraq for this time. The day after I noticed pimple-like bumps all over my pubic area causing alot of irritation. I used a rash ointment and went to bed. Today is day 2 and it has spread to my penis..She was on her period, I used a washcloth to clean myself, and i am wearing new underwear from the store. Those are all the factors I can think of. Any ideas? Is it Herpes?
Mon, 21 Oct 2019