What causes knee discomfort during tibia fracture ?

I have a Tibia Plateau Fracture and I have a metal plate and 6 screws in my knee. I m about 5 weeks post surgery & my Doctor said I cannot put weight on it yet. I started to fall while using my walker and my normal reaction was to put my other foot down. When I did it felt like needles stabbing me in the bottom of my foot so I pulled my leg up. When I sat down, my knee felt different and later started swelling. The muscles are all very tight around my knee now and I can t bend it as far as I could before. My knee feels weird but it isn t very painful... just uncomfortable. Could it be that the metal has shifted? Do you think it could just be swollen or I may have jammed it? Should I go to the emergency room?
Thu, 27 May 2021

Tibial plateau takes anywhere between 3-5 months to unite. Weight bearing is strictly prohibited after surgery for few months, depending on the type of fracture. Weight bearing in this period has high chances of leading to complications such as loss of reduction, implant break etc.

As per your history, you developed swelling around your knee and have decreased bending after that. This requires further evaluation and your operating surgeon might want to get a check X-ray done to rule out any complication. I’d advise you to visit your surgeon.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Sridhar Reddy, General & Family Physician