What causes degeneration of bone marrow?

My mother had an MRI which showed some degeneration of bone marrow, They took 11 viles of blood and xray'd every bone in her body. They will not give her any diagnosis or explanation until she meets with the doctor at the Cancer center. What could this mean? will they do a bone marrow biopsy next? or could there some other explanations other than cancer?
Tue, 11 Feb 2014
If you could have provided MRI impression then I would have given you more details. Anyways whenever there is a tumour then they releases something in blood which is somtimes particular to that tumous and these detected as tumor markers. But it is definitive diagnosis is biopsy including excision biopsy. So blood samples were taken.
Once diagnosis made including staging can be treated accordingly.

thanks n regards
Dr kishore kunal