Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Uti, swollen bladder, tiny white prticles pasing. What is the possible treatment?

Hi, I recently finished taking pills that my doctor prescribed for a UTI . I did not have any symptoms except frequent feeling that i needed to urinate but little to nothing came out and slighlty painful bladder when the doctor pressed on it. I have a feeling that I still have a UTI because my bladder still feels slighlty swollen and I just analysed my urine and found a small amount of tiny stringy white particles in my urine. No strong odor and since i have been drinking alot of water no dark color. What can these particles be and why does my bladder still feel slightly swollen?
Asked On : Sun, 10 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  88
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

At first, if you have been diagnosed with a UTI, this should have been done with the help of a urine analysis (which would confirm the infection) and urine culture examination (which would help in ascertaining the most suitable antibiotic to treat your condition). Once this is done, an adequate dose and duration of course will surely relieve you of your condition.

Thus, if this has not helped. There could be a number of reasons for this: an inadequate antibiotic dose, inadequate duration of therapy, or a misdiagnosis. You could also be suffering from some other underlying condition that is causing your UTI to remain or recur.

For this, we will have to get an abdominal ultrasound to rule out/diagnose other causes.

Next, talking about the stringy white substance, this could either be a discharge or stones. A urine analysis can usually detect all crystals, thus my previous suggestion for the required investigations should suffice to find this. The next cause could be a genital infection, please consult a gynecologist and get yourself thoroughly evaluated, including laboratory examination of your urine and the discharge.
I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Prasad Akole's  Response
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at HCM!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

You are right in guessing it to be a residual UTI.
The white flakes are the pus debris in the urine. Bladder tenderness/pain is due to cystitis (inflammation of infection).
Was the urine cultured? What was isolated?
Cure depends on lot of factors like kind of bugs, any obstruction in the urinary tract, correct dose and duration of the right antibiotics.
Was an ultrasound done?
Please give details of your treatment and lab results to enable a better advice.
You may ask me a direct question at

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.
Take care and please keep me informed of your progress.ood Luck! Thank you!!
Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Sylvia,

Thanks for posting your query,
From your description it is still evident that you are still having the UTI. What you will need to know is the fact that UTI could also be (besides bacteria) caused by fungi, protozoa, parasites etc and can also be associated to urethral stones. The whitish particles could be presence of urethral stones or fungi or parasites (even though very rare conditions). Since you have already been on a course of antibiotics, it will be better than a urine culture (+ antibiotics sensitivity test) be done to identify both the causing microbes and the specific antibiotics that could be used to completely eradicate it. I suggest that you also get screened for STDs as well.

Hope this helps
Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
As per the details u have submitted, it's hard to tell the chemical nature of crystals you are passing in your urine..IT MAY BE A CALCIUM OR PHOSPHATE you described that you are already used antibiotics for UTI, YOU NEED TO CHECK FOR THE STONES IN YOUR KIDNEY OR BLADDER.


1.complete urine analysis
2.renal function tests
3.ultrasonogram of pelvis to rule out renal stones ,
4.culture sensitivity of urine

So I advise you to consult a urologist and u will betreated accordingly....
Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor