Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Ultrasound shows stones in the kidneys. Having mild back pain. Currently drinking more water. Continue?

I recently had an abdominal ultrasound with a 7mm showdow in the lower pole of the left kidney and an 8mm shadow in the upper pole of the right kidney suggestive of stones. I have mild back.flank pain and have been trying to flush the stones out of the kidney with massive water intake. Currently my urinary output is 1L/hr. Should I continue, or just let things be? Would jumping jacks help dislodge the stones? Thanks.
Asked On : Fri, 16 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  81
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Urologist 's  Response

welcome to HCM and thanks for your query.
Water intake is too high. There is no need to take more than 4 liters of oral fluids., as it does not offer any help but may cause the discomfort of frequent urination.
One or both the stones may require fragmentation by lithotripsy. Kindly take medical advice.
Jumping is not a proven method to dislodge the stones.

Answered: Sun, 18 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Nephrologist Dr. Aditya Bhabhe's  Response
The recommended water intake is 3-3.5l in 24 hours. This will help in preventing new stone formation. Whether it will help in flushing out existing stones is not certain.
There are no studies to show that jumping dislodges stones.
It's best to consult a urologist.
Good luck.
Answered: Sun, 18 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor