Suggest Treatment For Recurrent GERD In A Child
My daughter is 2 years old. She had reflux problem when she was 5 months old and then she was put on medicines and she was cured. But now suddenly reflux is back and since last 3 days its increasing. She is not eating anything, burp is more and as soon as she sees food, she is having vomiting sensation.
Currently she is put on junior lanzol course but I am not sure if its helping. Please suggest what to do.
Spicy food needs to be avoided. Small but frequent meals needed.
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
The junction of the stomach and the food pipe is often not tight enough to restrict the stomach acids from entering into the food pipe and hence reflux results. So, in order to prevent reflux you need:
* Small but frequent meals so that the gastric acids are in a process of getting constantly used up. Long gaps between meals need to be avoided such that there is not enough time for a good amount of acid to get collected.
* Spicy food and chillies need to be avoided as they promote acid secretion.
* Antacids (preferably liquid) need to be taken if reflux related problems are felt.
* Lanzol junior needs to be taken. May be taken twice if required. It needs to be continued.
* Proper physical activity is essential on daily basis.
* Antiemetics and prokinetics may be taken on regular basis, if required. Talk to your doctor about the choice of medicine in this regard.
* Curd/yogurt should be helpful.
* Green leafy vegetables and fibre rich diet is essential.
Let me know if I could help further.
We have stopped all the spicy food long time bck and currently giving only rice dal,watermelon juice,curd with ginger,banana,roti. But from last two days, she is refusing to eat anything and now the situation is that even on seeing food , she is having vomiting sensation. Also she has stopped taking milk, if she takes she is vomiting. We are trying to give her small meals but she is eating 2-3 spoons and then burp is coming. Most of the time , she wants to sleep and complaining about uneasyness around stomach and burp.
One month back, her endoscopy had been done and doctor mentioned reports are fine.
Gall bladder and pancreatic pathology need to be ruled out
Thanks for writing back. I understand your apprehensions and that you have already taken the steps that you needed to. But still you have to be patient. Although gastritis and gastroesophageal reflux are not always identified with an endoscopy, two other aspects need to be ruled out - pancreatitis and gall bladder pathology. I would insist you to get an upper abdominal ultrasonography done and also to get the blood lipase and amylase levels checked.
I would not worry about the burp. Use of simethicone containing antacids like Riflux Forte should help. Taking curd/yogurt should also be beneficial in this regard. I would also insist on giving an antiemetic thrice daily before food, for the time being.