Treatment for slow physical development?

Extremely late/slow puberty About 6 months ago when I was 17 I went to visit the doctor because of concern about my physical development. I had some blood tests done to check the levels of my sex hormones; apparently they were in the healthy range. The doctor did not want to talk of anything like testosterone treatment and just said to give it time. Right now, 8 months later, nothing has changed. My voice broke about 3 years ago and I have some hair on my legs and genital area- that’s about as far as puberty goes for me, and I’ve been the same for 3 years. I have a very skinny stature, no hair on my face, small head, small hands, undeveloped testicles and penis... the list goes on. It is clear I’m so physically undeveloped. I am now 18 in my final year at school, but look around 14- it has really begun to hit me. I get so depressed. What is wrong with me? Is there anything I can do? PS. My Dad did not have this problem.
Thu, 20 Feb 2014

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. I suggest that you revisit your doctor and request him to refer you to an endocrinologist. A complete evaluation which includes a physical examination, measurements of the testicular volume, and, if necessary, hormonal levels will give a clear picture.

Delayed pubertal changes are known for which no medication is necessary.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl