Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
173 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Treatment for slow physical development?

Extremely late/slow puberty About 6 months ago when I was 17 I went to visit the doctor because of concern about my physical development. I had some blood tests done to check the levels of my sex hormones; apparently they were in the healthy range. The doctor did not want to talk of anything like testosterone treatment and just said to give it time. Right now, 8 months later, nothing has changed. My voice broke about 3 years ago and I have some hair on my legs and genital area- that’s about as far as puberty goes for me, and I’ve been the same for 3 years. I have a very skinny stature, no hair on my face, small head, small hands, undeveloped testicles and penis... the list goes on. It is clear I’m so physically undeveloped. I am now 18 in my final year at school, but look around 14- it has really begun to hit me. I get so depressed. What is wrong with me? Is there anything I can do? PS. My Dad did not have this problem.
Thu, 20 Feb 2014
Report Abuse
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. I suggest that you revisit your doctor and request him to refer you to an endocrinologist. A complete evaluation which includes a physical examination, measurements of the testicular volume, and, if necessary, hormonal levels will give a clear picture.

Delayed pubertal changes are known for which no medication is necessary.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

My wife is 52. She has never had an acne history and has good skin. She has recently developed acne on the lower cheeks suddenly (reddish ones...

Recent questions on  Puberty

doctor1 MD

Hi my name is Beverly, I think I have KP on my thighs (never been diagnosed, but I have the symptoms) I have the dotted skin and now its flared up...

doctor1 MD

hello ,im 24 years old male .my problem is when i do an abdominal exercises(especially lower abs) my semen comes out as if i had sex . i used to...

doctor1 MD

I am aware of a 13 year old boy who is developing well and into his
puberty but has a mental blockage about masturbation. He is adamant that he...

doctor1 MD

My 11 year old daughter has been suffering from rashes all over her body but not her face for a little over a year. They appear when she scratches...

doctor1 MD

Can you get a zit in your nipple? Because I did!!! I didn't know you could get one there. It was the size of a marble and when I squeezed it tons...

doctor1 MD

Symptoms continual sinus drainage , repeated blowing nose, coughing up phlegm , causing irritated throat, heat and pressure behind the eyes,...

doctor1 MD

I haven’t been getting morning woods since last Sunday, I don’t get random boners anymore, I have to focus so hard for me to get a boner and it...