Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

There is hole in the gum even after a good oral hygiene. What should be done?

I have had a sore, sometimes swollen spot on my upper gum for the past few weeks, but I thought that it would resolve itself if I kept up my good oral hygiene . Tonight when I brushed I noticed blood , and when I looked at the spot there was a small hole in my gum where it meets my tooth . I use pro health plaque control toothpaste (and oral b spinbrush) twice a day and floss at least once a day. Why is there a hole in my gum and what should I do?
Asked On : Tue, 10 Jul 2012
Answers:  5 Views:  284
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
You have not mentioned your complete history like about the associated teeth.Any symptoms if present with same tooth like pain, inflammation, any pus discharge.
It might be some chronic infection that has progressed deeper & finally has lead to resorption of surrounding bone & might have formed some sinus & fistula.
You kindly visit your dentist & get it properly diagnosed.If its associated with teeth then get it treated otherwise if problem is periodontal then go for bone grafting after consulting periodontist.
Try to maintain proper oral hygiene by regular brushing & flossing.
Also start using 0.2% chlorhexidine mouthwash once daily half an hour after brushing.

Take Care
Answered: Mon, 15 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello & welcome,
Sore or Swollen spot on the upper gums is indicative of underlying infection which seems more likely to be a chronic because there is associated pain if the infection is acute.
Basically you need to find out the etiology behind this swollen gum for which you visit your dentist & get an x-ray done.
There may be associated carious tooth or any other periodontal condition which is acting as a Focus of infection & can be treated accordingly.
Here important is to maintain your oral hygiene by proper use of soft tooth brush.
Use of Hard tooth brush or dental floss will not be advisable in your case until a periodontist suggests you so.
Use of Antibiotics & Anti-inflammatory drugs are definitely required but should be used with proper consultation & care.
You can use Antiseptic Mouthwash for local disinfection for short period only.

Take care.
Answered: Mon, 15 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum,
according to the dental history presented by you, it seems a case of chronic infection, you have not mentioned the tooth or the nature of pain if present.
i cannot rule out the diagnosis until checked clinically, but i would definitely like to inform you that your tooth needs to be treated.
infection which is present for quite long , keeps spreading to the sorrounding bone which holds the tooth in position, and resorbs it, this is why you noticed a small perforation or a hole on your gum.
kindly visit a dentist soon, he/she will click an X-ray to rule out the diagnosis.
i would recommend you maintain your oral hygiene as you are and meet your dentist.
i wish you good health.
Answered: Wed, 18 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
your gums are badly inflammed resulting in gingivitis.
do you have any medical history of epilepsy/diabetes,as it can cause gum infection.
the gum infection has spread down into periodontium and alveolar bone resulting in bone loss.
the whole may be due to abscess formation which resulted in sinus or fistula formation.
get your teeth deep scaling done by your dentist.
bone grafting can be done for correcting the bone loss.the pus has to be drained and curetted.
visit your dentist in every 6 months.
brush your teeth in upper arch from top to bottom and in lower arch from bottom to top.use soft interdental toothbrush and dental floss.
take tab.doxycycline-100mg,once daily for 7 days.
Answered: Mon, 15 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
you need to visit a periodontist who is an expert at the diseases of the gums. there has been bone loss between the teeth which can be ascertained by an x ray. your dentist may also suggest you a bone graft for the bone loss.
Answered: Sun, 14 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor