• question-icon

Taking Premarin and Estradiol after hysterectomy. Have mood swings, swollen legs, rapid heartbeat, difficulty sleeping

Iam 66 yrs old. had a hysterectomy at 38 was on 1.25 premarin until my gynecologist retired. went to a regular MD
the doctor has had me on 0.5 estridiol and im having big problems. mood, swollen legs and feet to the point i can`t walk. rapid heart beat, i can`t sleep. the dr. insists 0.5 is all thats needed. made an appt with a gynecologist in augustim on medicare and all this is costing me a lot of money. id like my old premarin back. iv never had breast problems or cancer. Im frustrated at the medical industry.
Wed, 17 Jul 2013
Thank you for choosing Healthcaremagic. You cannot take HT-hormone replacement treatment for for more than 5 years. I feel you need thorough evaluation to rule out hypertension, diabetes, and scan of swollen legs to rule out any DVT- deep vein thrombosis. Kindly do not take these drugs by yourself, as it can adversely affect you. You can try alternative to hormone therapy like:
Lifestyle changes and complementary modalities, such as paced breathing, yoga, acupuncture and exercise. Dietary supplements, such as phytoestrogens,Evening Primrose Oil, black cohosh. And some of the drugs like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) are found to be helpful. Kindly consult your doctor for full prescription.
Lastly, keep yourself cool, drink lot of fluids and water, eat lot of vegetables and fruits, decrease non-veg and spicy diet, Kindly relax and dont smoke/ drink.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
http://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-arif-n-khan/65133