• question-icon

Suggest treatment for aortic replacement valve

husband was on operating table for an aortic replacement valve. Went under anesthesia and suddenly his blood pressure went down to 40!! skin became red Had to stop. told us he was allergic to vecuronium (muscle relaxer) they think !! Now we need to find out what drugs made his allergic, this vecuronium or something else. Have a list of 20 meds they gave him before, during and after surgery. Our surgeon cannot find an allergist that can test for these drugs. Where do I go. Wonder if the Anesthesiologist did something wrong and Doctors are covering up. Waiting two days and doctors have no answers for us. I live in Florida, Port Orange. Have you ever had a case where you could be allergic to this. So dangerous for any patient to undergo this and it could have been fatal.
Mon, 29 Jul 2019

Hypersensitivity associated with histamine release leading to allergic reactions may occur, and in rare instances, life-threatening anaphylaxis (causing hypotension) may occur with vecuronium.

In general, when compared to other neuromuscular-blocking agents such as pancuronium, rocuronium or atracurium, the safety profile of vecuronium is favorable.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas, Internal Medicine Specialist