• question-icon

Suggest better treatment for osteophytes

Hello Dr, My father is suffering from osteophytes. he is not able to walk and sit properly. he have back pain and weknees in muscle . Could you please suggest me a better way to get rid of it? I also would like to know, is there any non-surgical/Ayurvedic treatment available on this osteophytes?
Fri, 22 Mar 2019
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist 's  Response

Sorry to hear about your father. As age is important to make a decision on anything about osteophytes which is missing in history.

Coming to osteophytes, there is only a surgical removal decision taken if the osteophytes are making some neurological compromise and disabling symptoms.

If none of this are present the surgical excision will not be look for.

Also, doing surgery might not be as simple as understood, since the osteophytes will be too close the spinal nerves and may lead to major complications so avoiding the surgical part will be better as per me.

Medicine are symptomatic and they act as a supporting be treatment the rest healing is done by the body itself.

It's a great saying in medicine - body is a medicine of its own and it will heal on its own it's just need some support. So let the body heal on its own rather putting the knife.

Now since he is having back pain which is on a higher scale, I am sure he must be advised for some pain killers.

Continue the painkillers and use the hot water fermentation along with lumbar brace. Wait and see if the symptoms come down.

Once the pain levels are dropping begin the low-intensity exercises so that the muscles start getting activation to go the next level of strengthening and also support the skeletal system.

Once the pain is again dropping thinking on a graded increase in the exercise will be good for better results.

You can take the help of a physiotherapist for the exercise. He may even help with Therapeutic ultrasound therapy and TENS therapy which will help the inflammation and pain to come down.

In my clinical practice of over 12 years, most cases have responded well to a combination of medicine and physiotherapy. I wish the same for your father to recover at the earliest and live life to the fullest.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Jay Indravadan Patel, Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist