Suggest alternative medicine for cold and cough as allergic to paracetamol

My close friend is 21 years old, male,5 foot 11 inches, 80 kg. He has had paracetamol allergy since he was a child. If he takes paracetamol for cold, cough or fever, he develops severe rashes all over his body that burns and itches like crazy. So in case the fever is really really severe, he takes a paracetamol tablet and then several avils ...but the rashes remain for a day minimum. Most of the time he just lets the fever go on its own without taking any form of medication. But this is really pain staking...and he is suffering for long periods of time. Is there any alternative you can suggest doctor
Wed, 26 May 2021

If your friend is allergic to paracetamol,then it is not wise to take tablet Avil with paracetamol. To take anti-allergic for cough and cold may be fine,but just to take anti-allergic for avoiding the allergy due to paracetamol is not advised. Your friend may try other options for fever like Ibuprofen, Naproxen or aspirin etc. However, while trying for these alternatives, it is to be kept in mind that, some times, a patient who is allergic to paracetamol, may be also allergic to other anti-fever medicines. Therefore this trial must be in presence of accessible medical facilities.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician