Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suffered severe gout attack on ankle. Prescribed diclofenac, omeprazole. Will colchicine injection help?

Hi. I just had a severe gout attack on my ankle, and the doc gave me a jab equivalent to diclofenac . He also prescribed me diclofenac 25mg and omeprazole 20mg. The pain has not been relieved since 12 hours ago when I start taking it. What should I do? Should I get a stronger jab? I have taken colchicine before and that jab usually relieves my pain within hours. Please help me
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  235
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Acute attacks of gout and long-term treatment of gout  require different approaches. Treatment usually involves medication.
Drug treatments for acute attacks of gout are aimed at relieving pain and reducing inflammation. They should be started as early as possible.
Medications used in the treatment of gout include:
NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)

If your pain has not been relived even after 12 hours of taking DICLOFENAC,then you may opt for injection COLCHICINE,since you used it earlier with very good results.
Colchicine has  been used against gout attacks for centuries. It is highly effective, although it is no longer the first drug of choice because of its frequent, unpleasant, and sometimes very serious side effects.But if you tolerate it well,you must go for it.
Along with COLCHICINE,you may apply local ice packs for 15 to 20 minutes at a time for 3 to 4 times a day.
After the attack passes away,you can opt for other long term treatment options.
Answered: Thu, 28 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Colchicine is sure better, but its side effects are far worse.
SHORT steroid course may be safer.

Once the rescue medicine has taken effect, you will need need long term prophylaxis like Allopurinol or Febuxostat.
Discuss with your doctor

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Tue, 2 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Rheumatologist Dr. Divya Agarwal's  Response
may be you need a steroid shot like depomedrol, that shd be helpful.
Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor