Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Stomach pain, irritable bowel syndrome. On flupentixol hydrochloride. Treatment?

Hello Doc, My husband has a constant lower tummy ache for last 3 months which is very nagging ..A stomach scan brought normal results .. One doc said it could be IBS and gave flupentixol hydrochloride for a month ..Later a endoscopy could be done was told to him.. Is there any other test/med that would help? Regards
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  175
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Few tests are required for patients who have typical IBS symptoms and no alarm features.Most patients should have a complete blood count and sigmoidoscopic examination; in addition, stool specimens should be examined for ova and parasites in those who have diarrhea.
In those aged >40 years, an air-contrast barium enema or colonoscopy should also be performed. If the main symptoms are diarrhea and increased gas, the possibility of lactase deficiency should be ruled out with a hydrogen breath test or with evaluation after a 3-week lactose-free diet.
Some patients with IBS-D (diarrhoea predominant)may have undiagnosed celiac sprue and can undergo serology testing for celiac sprue .
High-fiber diets and bulking agents, such as bran or hydrophilic colloid, are frequently used in treating IBS.
Anticholinergic drugs may provide temporary relief for symptoms such as painful cramps related to intestinal spasm.
In IBS patients with constipation, tegaserod(5-HT4 receptor agonists) accelerated intestinal and ascending colon transit.
Lubiprostone is a bicyclic fatty acid that stimulates chloride channels in the apical membrane of intestinal epithelial cells.Oral lubiprostone may be useful in the treatment of patients with constipation-predominant IBS .

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D.
Answered: Fri, 5 Sep 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor