Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Soreness at the base of tailbone that occasionally drains yellow snot since tailbone injury. Injured tailbone disc?

Hi, my name is robert and I believe I injured my tailbone when I crashed a dirtbike about a year and a half ago. Ever since Ive seem to have a sore at the base of my tailbone that accasionaly drains a snotty yellowish fluid. Now lately I ve been experiencing pain from the area along with my right hip. It seems to bother me more when I do any lifting, carrying or shovel for any time at all. Could this be a injured tailbone disk?
Asked On : Mon, 18 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  272
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query. The color of the draining fluid could be an issue.

Your presentation could either be an abscess (infection) which is draining the pus accumulated within, or a possible CSF leak (which is extremely serious). The CSF is in normal a clear fluid, but is seen yellowish in color (also called xanthochromia) in conditions like reb blood cell lysis, a subarachnoid hemorrhage) or increase in protein.

Please visit a doctor at the earliest to get yourself examined, and also to send the draining fluid to the laboratory to rule out the worst. Please do this at the earliest.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Welcome to the forum.
Soreness yellow discharge over your tailbone could be a pilonidal cyst. It is common for young men and the peak incidece of Pilonidal disease is between 16 and 26.
A Pilonidal cyst may remain harmless. If it becomes infected, however, it will cause pain, inflammation and usually drainage of fluids. So I would suggest getting this evaluated by a doctor for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor