Is soreness in the tip of the tailbone associated with colon cancer?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: The tip of my tailbone aches and is sore. It started about 3-4 weeks ago. I travel a tremendous amount and it could be noting other than long airplane flights and many miles behind the wheel of a car. However is this an indicator of other issues? Ie.... colon cancer or something else? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to see a proctologist or surgeon

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,
I have read your query and I understand your concern.

From what you describe, your condition is most probably a pilonidal sinus or the inner development of an anal fistula.
These are both inflammatory conditions that are associated with pain and soreness in the first stages, followed by infection and discomfort. They are mostly seen in patients that spend a lot of time seated. Drivers and office-workers very often complain about it.
It is surgically treated, and that's why I recommend you to see a general surgeon, or even better a proctologist, who is specialized in this area.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad