• question-icon

Sore throat, painful, blood in saliva. Cause?

My throat has been soar for a few days but when I woke up the pain was a lot worse. Now I can't talk or swallow without wanting to cry. Also to refrain from swallowing I would spit my saliva out and a few times I noticed blood, not a lot but still worried. What would cause this? Please help the pain is almost unbearable
Wed, 25 Sep 2013
Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum.
Acute pain with blood tinge in saliva is usually a clear symptom may be due to ,
1 Septic pharyngitis can be confirmed by physical examination by an E N T specialist .
2 acute tonsillitis or peritonsillar abscess , in which tonsil enlarge due to acute infection with its bed ( adenoid glands) .
Red swollen tonsils occupy whole of the throat ,hence patient feel difficulty in swallowing , blood and pain ( as all these symptoms , you are having) .
This can be confirmed by an E N T by physical examination.
Anti septic solution's gargles help in these type of cases.
Consult an E NT and get a treatment . Good luck. Dr. HET