• question-icon

What causes vomiting and coughing up of blood?

Posted on Tue, 11 Nov 2014 in Accident and Emergency
Question: My daughter has been vomiting up and coughing up blood for.the last couple of days. She complain about then dizzy sore throat, it hard for her to breath headache. Do I need to take her to the urgent care?
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood with sputum and vomiting.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Your daughter is 44 years old , she is having blood in vomiting , with cough , dizziness, sore throat , breathlessness and headache .
As you asked , do you need an urgent care ?
This depend on the amount of blood in vomits and in sputum , if quantity is huge , this is an emergency .
Such type of symptoms may be due to these possibilities , these include :
1 Tuberculosis ,this is most common cause of blood in sputum ( intermingled also with vomit material ) . Diagnosis can be confirmed by X ray chest , blood for C B C , E S R , sputum ( coughing blood ) for A F B & PCR-Tuberculin Skin Test.
2 Anemia is another most important cause of such symptoms . Get in blood for hemoglobin examination.Anemia causes dizziness , shortness of breath ,headache .
3 Septic pharyngitis may be responsible for such symptoms . Physical examination by an E N T will find out the pharyngitis . Diagnosis can be confirmed by swab examination from throat.
Since you didn't mention the duration of these symptoms , so very difficult to establish any diagnosis merely on the basis of these symptoms .
As these symptoms may be due to bleeding disorder , carcinoma of lungs , pneumonitis ( pneumonia ) , vomiting may be due to many reasons as hyperacidity ( hypertension at the of 44 years ).
Complete history of illness is important as loss of blood causes ANEMIA and this causes dizziness, headache, breathlessness ( passive ).
So in my opinion consult a primary care physician and take consultation at earliest because further loss of blood may deteriorate the condition of patient .
Hope this will help you.
Further any question I will reply in follow up.
Good luck..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 14 minutes later
No she is 17 year of age. I am 44 not her
Brief Answer:
Blood in vomits and with coughing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello , XXXX
It was written in patient's profile ( 44 yrs ), any way , if this type of blood is from last 2-3 days need not to visit emergency room , but if quantity is huge , then visit at once .
These reasons mentioned in the previous reply were only for a 45-50 yrs patient .
Now these symptoms may be due to these possibilities ,these include.
1 Pneumonia ( also known as consolidation of lung) , diagnosis can be confirmed by X ray chest and physical examination .
2 Acute septic pharyngitis , diagnosis can be confirmed by physical examination by an E N T specialist because sore throat produces blood during coughing and also with vomits ( as in sore throat some discharge enter into stomach and causes vomiting with blood i.e. entered ).
3 Anemia due to vomits and blood in sputum ( coughing ).
In 17 years remote possibility of tuberculosis and carcinoma ( only in exceptional cases that too if symptoms are for prolong period ).
But if quantity of blood is huge ,consult emergency room , if quantity is mild then consult a physician and get his opinion.
Hope this will help you .
Good luck for your daughter .
Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi