Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Smoker, have pain in ear, neck and shoulder, chest tightness on deep breathing. No relief with medicines. Help?

I smoke cigarettes and For almost a 2 week now I have been having a pain in my left ear and the left side of my neck into my shoulder , then when I take deep breathes it feels like my chest gets tight. Everytime I try to smoke( which I m trying to quit) my throat burn a little. I went to the doctor I was told it was coming from a tooth infection, its been a week now and the only thing has changed is my ear doeosnt hurt anymore( put me on 500mg amoxicillian)
Asked On : Mon, 18 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  45
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

A pain in the ear along with pain in the neck or throat with a history of smoking is not a healthy sign even if your ear pain has subsided. To be on the safer side do the following:
1. Stop smoking as soon as possible, i did not mention immediately because i know thats not possible! Also on immediate cessation, the withdrawal symptoms will be severe.
2. Get an Upper GI endoscopy done to be on the safer side that there is no lesion in the throat
3. Avoid spicy, oily and cold food and fluids.
4. Take a regular healthy diet and avoid caffeine and alcohol

get well soon and do not strain when you speak

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Fri, 16 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor