Suggest ways to quit smoking

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I am bit addicted to smoking and want to get rid of the habit of smoking once for all , I have tried to many times to quit , but unable to do so , either I have quit smoking for a month and then started again due to the withdrawal symptoms and restlessness. Can I get a prescription which will help me quit cigaratees ? , I have heard few drugs in market which really help in quiting the cigarattees like Primox 50mg taken for 3 times a day..? with other combinations , Please let me know
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I recommend bupropion for you

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to make it clear that online prescription is not possible as it is prohibited by regulatory authorities. The above statement is very important in relation to smoking cessation as all the useful medications are schedule H medications and can not be prescribed without physical examination of patient.

Having said this I take this opportunity to state that Bupropion will be one of the best option for you considering the prior withdrawal symptoms and failure to prolong the tobacco abstinence. I often prescribe 150 mg per day followed by 300 mg from fourth day of treatment and planning quit date after 10 days of medication. Although prescription will be the sole right of your treating doctor but same can be requested by reference to my answer.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 9 hours later
Thanks Doctor , But what are the Cons of the Bupropion , Will it be safe to take it even if I get the medicine from the chemist , what are the precautions that needs to be taken when on medication ? I have read the side effects of Bupropion are pretty high compared to Nortriptyline , which has less side effects. One of my friend did take Nortriptyline for chain smoking , after 3 months of use , he has quit the habit of smoking and gradually reduced the dosage of medicines. Even I am not in a hurry to quit the habit once for all , I can gradually reduce with medications , so that the withdrawal symptoms are minimized

Please let me know how would I get prescription of the medicines ?
Can a scanned copy be sent to my email id ? without prescription , it becomes very cumbersome , we cannot always go to GP for the prescription, there should be some alternative to it ? Does Health care magic have some tie up with the chemist ? so that they can provide the medicines ? based on online consultation without the prescription ? Please let me know
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unfortunately no prescription is possible with online consultation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

I disagree with your statement that nortryptiline is safer than bupropion. In reality bupropion have less side effects except possibility of seizure in those who had history of epilepsy or taking high dose (450 mg and above). Regarding the precaution you need to take it after breakfast and not empty stomach. The other side effect is abnormal experience which again very uncommon with low dosage.

As stated above online prescription is never a possibility and no website permitted to have a tie up. In fact healthcaremagic is online platform where doctors belong to different countries or continents and they do not have any prescription authority in any area except there city of practice.

I will advice you to see your GP before procuring the medication as at the time of need he will be only person available for you. I do not think I can be there when you need a doctor in person unless you stay in my city.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.