Suggest treatment for shortness of breath after smoking Marijuana

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Sep 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been smoking marijuana in a cigar leaf for 7-8 years on and off. I always did plenty of cardio on too of this. Recently i have not done any cardio at all in over a year and a half. I started smoking 4 cogar filled marijuana blunts a day for over 2-3 months. I have noticed when i exsert myself i am very short of breath very easy. I am cirrently 32 years old. I am a week free and will be quitting for good. Could this be somthong serious or is this most likely die ti an uptic in smoking and decrease in cardio and whats the best way to restore lungs
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to consult pulmonologist and get done PFT.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Smokers tend to develop chronic bronchitis.
And PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) is must for the diagnosis of bronchitis.
PFT will not only diagnose bronchitis but it will also tell you about severity of the disease.
So consult pulmonologist and get done clinical examination of respiratory system and PFT.
If PFT is normal then you will restore your lung functions by cardio exercises and smoking cessation.
But if PFT is showing obstructive defect then you need to take inhaled bronchodilators and inhaled corticosteroid for long time.
Quit smoking immediately in any case.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 32 minutes later
Okay i will follow up about that is it possible to have copd or emphzyma or would stmptoms be much worse? I will never smoke again
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You might be having early stage of COPD.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
COPD is chronic obstructive Pulmonary disease. It includes both, chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
Now a days, emphysema term is not used. It is either COPD or chronic bronchitis.
Treatment and severity are based on staging and PFT is must to classify the stage.. So first get done PFT.
You are mostly in early stages (stage 1 or 2)of the disease.