Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Small knot under ear lobe, white stringy pus on squeezing, foul smell, swelling. Treatment?

I have a small knot that came up months ago just under my ear lobe and I can squeeze out this white stringy type puss out of it and it smells so bad. But after a day or so the knot gets big again. I really would like to get rid of this. Someone told me it could be a form of a blackhead . After squeezing on it a few times it does hurt and is sore. How can I get rid of this. Thank you!
Asked On : Fri, 1 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  1270
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012

Thanks for posting your query,
Given the chronic nature of the ear knot and the fact that a foul smelling discharge comes out of it, it is highly suggestive of a superinfected benign mass. Depending on the characteristic of the small swelling (such as size, texture, surface consistency etc) we would be able to tell which mass is it. It could just be an abscess that is infected by a resistant germs which would require an appropriate antibiotics after culture of the fluid discharge. An infected keloid is a possibility. A dermatologist or a primary care doctor would be useful in determining the cause and treatment. It might even require complete excision or incision and drainage, all depending on what the doctor finds upon examining.

Hope this helps and wish you the best
Answered: Sat, 2 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor