Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Small child, lump behind ear, pus, bleeding, swollen red ears. Treatment options?

My four year old daughter has a pea size pimple like behind her ear that fills up and pops on its own. Little pus and blood come out when it happens goes away and few days later comes back again. Her ear gets rex and swollen when this happens. She has ear rings just additional info. What is this? How do I treat it? She had a ear infection not too long ago and when she was on antibiotics this went away completely but after a few weeks off them it is back again.
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  132
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello,, thanks for using HCM.
From the description you have given, she had an abscess that was located behind her ear. There seem to be two possibilities; either it was a new infection involving her skin or its her previous ear infection that has complicated with infection of her mastoid process. Ear infections in children is common because air circulation in the ear is limited and because certain structures known as adenoide vegetations are still very big in children.
what is certain is that she is having an infection andn she will need antibiotics again. You will need to take her to a doctor for a proper examination and to rule out infection of the mastoid process because if its an infection of the mastoid process, she could as well suffer from brain involvement such as abcess and or meningitis. The previous antibiotics she took has to be review as concerns its effectiveness in treating ear infections and the dosage and duration of use for which the child was treated with.
Best regards.
Answered: Thu, 14 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor