Small child having white sores on tongue, swollen gums, bad breath, fever. Causes for symptoms?

my 23 month old has white sores on his tongue n the roof of his mouth and also has swollen gums and very bad breath. he struggles to eat anything and has swollen lymph nodes under his ears, this has been going on for three days and started with a fever on the first 2 days, could this be herpes stomatitis? how do i treat it?
Sat, 8 Sep 2012
Pediatrician, Cardiology 's  Response
Hello
Thanks for the query
Symptoms may be due to Herpetic infection. Swollen lymph nodes are also due to oral lesions.What you need to do is maintain oral hygiene by chlorhexidine moth wash, apply Zytee lotion over the lesions 4 hrly, give multivitamin syrup 5 ml once a day, avoid acidic and irritating food. Give paracetamol asyrp. and do tepid sponging for controlling fever.Watch for persistence of high grade fever, any rashes over the body and any other obvious signs. If it is herpetic infection or any other benign lesion it will subside by these conservative measures. If condition worsens consult your doctor immediately.