Suggest treatment for persistent halitosis

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I've suffered congestion brain fog, extreme halitosis for 5 years and I have extermely thick mucus (liquid) with airbubbles in it. I side of my head is worse than the other. I have been to 2 ents. I have had ct scans of brain and sinus all clear. Could it be sjogrens disease, salivary gland disease, adenoid disease. I have lost jobs, and boyfriends over this. This has ruined my life please help. I am currently on zithromax, but I don't think it's having an effect?
Also sometimes, my entire throat (and behind my ears) smells like tonsil stones, with thick sticky liquid coming out
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Halitosis with mucus formation

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
Halitosis can be due to nasal pathology like a septal deviation or mucosal hypertrophy or sinusitis or it can be due to oral pathology like tonsillitis or dental caries. Excessive mucus production is usually due to nasal pathology or throat infection. Salivary gland disease or sjogrens disease can be kept as a possibility but very rare.
Please send me the CT pictures done and the pictures of your throat and oral cavity.
Any gland enlargement in the neck?
Any skin disease?
Any history of nasal blockage?
Any indigestion or constipation?
Please make clear that do you have any ear discharge too?
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 15 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thank you for your response. I will upload the ct report. I was not given the scan itself. I will also send picture of throat.
No skin disease
No gland enlargement.
Sometimes nose gets blocked
Tonsils do not appear enlarged, but I think that is where the smelly liquid is coming from. My right side is what is really affected.
No ear discharge but around my ear , and behind my ear is congested above my ear to the side of my eye also has mucus coming from it. Tonsil stones come from roof of mouth, and behind throat
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Halitosis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the information and the pictures.

The CT scan suggests you have no sinusitis but there is no mention of any nasal pathology being present or not.

The pictures of the oral cavity show that you have chronic tonsillitis but no acute infection. There is mild gum swelling too. The teeth appear to be fine.

My advice is you should get an endoscopic examination of the nose done.
Take Fluticasone nasal spray twice daily for a week and take tablet vitamin C once daily.

Use Hexidine mouthwash and apply candid mouth paint daily.
Avoid any tobacco use or smoking.
Drink plenty of water.
All the medicines suggested by me will be available only on prescription.

Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 14 minutes later
Are you give me the presciption?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Halitosis

Detailed Answer:

Since this is online consultation, I can just mention the drugs but you might need a prescription for their purchase.

Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 minutes later
My first ent said I had nasal polyps during theendoscopy exam, and deviated septum, but after my ct scan, he said that i was fine. He did not give me a copy. This was 5 years ago
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Halitosis

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for the delay in my response,

You should get confirmed if you have any nasal pathology. It can be the possible cause of halitosis and might need to be operated.

Thanks and regards