What causes cold and dry cough while on Mucinex?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have stable COPD on Dulera. I am 58 years old. I have had a cold for the last 10 days which was productive at times; XXXXXXX sputum. Now it is a frequent dry cough. I note extreme halitosis today and a lingering foul taste in my mouth. My halitosis is so severe, even my wife noted it. I am on my way to CVS to purchase Mucinex and a thermometer. I will make an appt. with my PCP tomorrow. Is it possible that I have pneumonia again? It has been 10 years or more since I had pneumonia.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is a possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Yes, it is a possibility

Pneumonia is assessed / diagnosed clinically. Fever with cough and typical auscultation findings may prompt empiric antibiotic therapy without the need of further investigations.

An x ray chest PA view can be advised.
CURB 65 scoring is done to assess the severity and decide on the empiric therapy. It includes the following parameters to obtain a score.

Confusion
Blood Urea nitrogen
Respiratory rate
Blood pressure or less
Age 65 or older

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil