Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Severe pain from canker sore on jaw and ear. What should i do ?

Severe pain from cancker sore on tonuge, ear , jaw lymph nodes, headaches-can't eat much... I have a severely painful canker sore jaw and ear. i can t open my mouth much and can barily tollorate eating pudding and yogert. Also my chin and neck nodes are swelling and painful. i ev been having headaches that get really bad in the late afternoon. i went to the doctor but it hasn t helped my pain! what should i do? i cannot barily eat...and i don t know what to do...
Wed, 3 Jul 2013
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
  User's Response

Canker sore occurs only of soft labile mucosa of oropharyngeal areas only. it cant occur on Jaw bones or ear. Alternatively, it can lead at maximum to pain in all these areas.

You haven't mentioned about your tobaccoo history that is smoker or non smoker?

Headaches, enlarged lymph nodes, inability to open the mouth ahve multiple reasons behind them. Kindly seek a second opinion from an oral surgeon regarding the same.

Canker sores are having multiuple reasons behind it, most often cited includes Vitamin B12 Defeciency, STRESS, Streptococcal bacterial infections, Autoimmune/ allergic reactions, and Iron defecienceis. .

It can be well treated by,

a) gargle with warm water mixed with one capsule of RESTICIlLLIN-250mg (Tetracycline),

b) Take Vit. B Complex Caps at night with Milk (For Iron/ Vit B defeciency correction)

c) Apply Dologel CT on affected sores

d) Maintain Good Oral Hygeine (Brush twice and use mouthwashes)

and Lastly you can have Amoxicillin antibiotics three times a day for three days
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

Causative agent of canker sores has to be evaluated and treated.

Apply anaesthetic gel on the affected site.

Take plenty of fluids as well as nutritious diet.

Vitamin becosules as well as iron supplements has to be administered.

Avoid spicy foods.

Maintain oral hygiene well.

Take care.
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

ENT Specialist Dr. Naveen Kumar's  Response

To reduce the pain caused by an ulcer include: avoiding spicy food, rinsing with salt water or over-the-counter mouthwashes. Corticosteroid preparations containing hydrocortisone hemisuccinate or triamcinolone acetonide to control symptoms are effective in treating aphthous ulcers. Also, take vitamin B-complex containing zinc and anti-inflammatory medicines (such as Ibuprofen/Diclofenac).

Dr. Naveen Kumar

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I had a canker sore removed,biopsied and sewn up. A week later my tongue was in severe pain and did not seem to be healing even though I was doing...

Recent questions on  Aphthous ulcers

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have sore throat, canker sore in different places on the mouth and pharynx. I also have difficulty swallowing. This symptoms persist for more...

doctor1 MD

Hi my question is that I feel like I have a marble in my throat but it s not sore nor it doesn t hurt when I swallow and I had a head ache for...

doctor1 MD

i am worried out of my head, and too scared to get tested so i am going to try to get some peace of mind from one of these forums. here's how it...

doctor1 MD

Hi kinda embarrassed to talk about this but I ve been very sick for the last 4 days. I ve been nauses, but haven t thrown up but Been running to...

doctor1 MD

Dear sir, I have tongue pain problem. I am using antiseptic mouthwash to kills germs that cause gingivitis . I am using Canker Care. Over two...

doctor1 MD

My kid-a baby boy of almost 4 years old is suffering from mouth ulcers I am attaching the photographs of the same. I request you to please have a...

doctor1 MD

my tongue has been sore and irritated for three weeks and the bumps on my tongue are falling off. is this cancer,