• question-icon

    Does tongue pain require a medical consultation?

Posted on Tue, 14 Nov 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear sir,
I have tongue pain problem. I am using antiseptic mouthwash to kills germs that cause gingivitis. I am using Canker Care. Over two years, I still have the same problem. Should I go to the special Doctor ?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need clarifications, a visit to a dentist and a surgeon is a must.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern, but to be able to answer your question effectively, I would need some clarifications, so please answer a few questions for me.

1. Since how long have you been suffering from the pain in tongue?

2. You have written about using canker care, do you have canker sores (aphthous ulcers)?

3. Has it been diagnosed by a dentist or a surgeon that these ulcers are aphthous ulcers only and nothing else?

4. Could you please take clear photographs of your tongue and upload them with this query, that would give me quite a lot of information that will be very useful.

5. If there are ulcers on the tongue, how large are they, and are these ulcers painful?

6. Is there any puss forming in these ulcers?

7. Do you smoke cigarettes, or chew tobacco in any form?

Please do write back to me with these details so that I can help you further, meanwhile, I would suggest you to stop using the natural mouthwash and use betadin or chlorex mouth gargles instead.

You have to consult your dentist or the surgeon as soon as possible, because if there is an ulcer that is going on from 2 years, then the chances of it being a cancerous one are high.

I am awaiting your response to guide you further.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 11 hours later
Dear sir,

Thank you for your wonderful help. I will make an appointment with the Doctor.

May God bless you always,

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for the kind words, all the best.

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,

Thank you very much for appreciating my answer and for your kind words.

I would be glad to help you further if you need.

I hope everything turns out to be fine.

All the best for your appointment with the doctor.

Warmest regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Yogesh D

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 973 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Gingivitis

doctor1 MD

I have clear fluid like water coming from my vagina-not urethra. I can not feel it happen and only notice when I stand up and see a wet spot on a...

doctor1 MD

hello doctor, this is XXXXXXX from UK XXXXXXX i have always had gum problem for many years .... but now for the past two to three years the problem...

doctor1 MD

Hello hoping you can help me out ... I had a cleaning today for the first time in 2 yrs I do have some deep pockets and gingivitis I quit smoking 7...

doctor1 MD

How to stop receding gums . i have anterior lower crowding. sensitivity is a problem and often pain.

doctor1 MD

My 13 year old son has a severe sore throat, lathargic, fatique also has what looks like gingivitis behind front teeth. He has had this before, but...

doctor1 MD


I got flu symptoms on wednesday last week , i was feverish, aches and pains,headache, low energy.
I got swollen gums which went bright red...

doctor1 MD

My son, who is almost 2, has swollen gums and I believe he also has swollen Lypmh nodes under his jaw. He has been complaining of pain in his mouth...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

158 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Yogesh D
  • Q - Feeling dizzy, loss of balance, headaches. Not able to say right words....

  • Q - Elevated AST and MPV. No fever, blood disorders or anaemia. Any reason?

  • Q - Had nasal injury and bleeded. Have asymmetrical nose and problem in...

  • Q - Suffering from extreme dry mouth. Could I ask a doctor?

  • Q - Feeling sleepy after taking lisinopril. Can I stop the medication?

  • Q - Had a seizure and sustained additional fractures on back. Suffered...

  • Q - Baby has coffee stain on back. Has jaundice. What could this be?

  • Q - Have periodic involuntary eye movements. Feeling like things in room are...

  • Q - Can I take prednisone for the flareups of emphysema?

  • Q - Abdomen on left side bulges when I start to get erection. It is painful...