Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Scalp biopsy showing androgenetic alopecia. Severe hair loss. How to grow the hair back?

I had thick curly hair to my shoulders and in December it started coming out in droves when I washed it. A scalp biopsy revealed that I have androgenetic alopecia . My hair is no longer pretty spiral curls it is thin, the ends frail and thin, short pieces, and have lost at least 70% , not the same thicknes and volume. cant make a style with it. I can t explain how bad it looks. I do not have a pretty face, so this has made me severely depressed. I bought a wig, but it makes me feel and look stupid. How do I get all of my hair back?
Asked On : Tue, 14 Aug 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  184
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Jun 2015
Hello dear,

Androgenetic alopecia, also known as Male pattern baldness, usually follows a pattern of receding hairline & is related to genetic makeup and Testosterone hormone.

Management includes:
1. Minoxidil preparation to be applied directly to the scalp to stimulate the hair follicles.
2. Finasteride preparations that interferes with the production of hormone linked to baldness.
But these medications have to be used regularly under the guidance of a hair loss tends to return on stoppage of these medications.

Those cases which do not respond to medical therapy, are managed by hair transplantation. will be better to consult a Dermatologist & start treatment.
Wishing you a Good Health.
Thanks & take care.
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Rheumatologist Dr. Shruti Rijhwani's  Response
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

I think you should consult a trichologist for complete evaluation.You can use minoxidil 5% topical solution for your hair regrowth which is an FDA approved drug for this purpose.

Hope you are satisfied with the answer.

If you have any further queries feel free to ask.

Wish you good health.

Take care.

Dr. Shruti
Answered: Fri, 5 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Homeopath Dr. Archana K's  Response
I can understand your concerns.
Androgenic alopecia or male pattern baldness is progressive disorder and get worse as age advances. I would suggest to consult qualified tricologist /dermatologist for proper treatment.
Meanwhile you can try to stabilize and maintain current condition of your scalp by adding food like soya,green tea,flaxseeds ,complete protein in your diet. All these food are natural DHT inhibitor and help to control androgen related hairloss.
Try some relaxation techniques like yoga,meditation and breathing exercise to control stress.
Remember 8 hrs sound sleep is essential for harmonal balance.
All the best..
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor