Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Runny nose and congestion around the nasal cavaties, Could this be PTSD ?

I have had an EKG and CAT scan- my heart is fine and there’s no sinus infection or brain tumor. My white blood cell count is 3 times the norm and my cholesterol is twice the norm. The symptoms I am having have been going on since October 2008. My symptoms are: runny nose and congestion around the nasal cavaties of my nose, face numbness, tingling in left hand, some chest pain but it comes and goes, headaches, decreased attention span, extreme difficulty in concentrating, some dizziness, not able to focus eyes properly, feel like ears are stopped up and can’t hear good, excessive fatigue, sleeping too much or in short spans, feel panicky inside, extremely depressed, cry a lot, ongoing sore throat and chronic cough, sneezing, eyes burning, chest congestion, and I am doing things that are destructive like driving too fast and missing a lot of work. I have been diagnosed with PTSD and my family has a history of Bipolar, Heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Could this be PTSD, Bipolar, or something medical like mold poisoning?
Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Answers:  2 Views:  698
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Hi Terri,

You seem to be having vasomotor rhinitis, this is a condition where there will be watering of the nose in the absence of any allergy. You are under extreme stress which needs to be sorted out. For your running nose you need to take an antihistaminc (such as cetrizine) and a nasal decongestant drops (such as Oxymetazoline or Xylometazoline) for 5 days only. Drink plenty of warm water. Go for a morning or an evening walk, consult your psychiatrist and get psychotherapy done so you can have peaceful mind. If possible do yoga, which keeps you in a peaceful state and also healthy.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
Answered: Mon, 31 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
You clearly appear to have a chronic upper respiratory infection/allergy which needs treatment from a ENT doctor. Regarding the PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) do not be worried about the label but try to sort out your abnormal sleep pattern with your family doctor or a psychiatrist.
Answered: Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor