What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 1 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear Sir,
I got my MRI scan done recently and was told by the doctor that i need to undergo a surgery. Please advise on the same and complications after the surgery. I felt fast movement of the eye ball recently and consulted a eye specialist who in turn asked me to consult a neuro surgon saying i might have to get MRI scan done. I attaching a copy of the MRI report. Please check and advise.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Of course, you need a surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I have gone through your MRI report.It mentions about a large pituitary adenoma which has encroached upon the cavernous sinus and internal carotid artery.If it is not operated upon, it may result in vision problems and other focal neurological problems as well.
So, its basically not a situation where you can decide between surgical and non-surgical treatment. Surgical treatment is the only treatment here. Mostly, surgeries are successful.
Regarding complications, a neurosurgeon can guide you better.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 8 minutes later
Thank you for the answer. Little more clarification. Is it a major surgery. How many days i am supposed to he in the hospital and later rest required. I need to know little more clarity on complications if any. Hence consulted Healthcare magic for second opinion
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Several days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for being in follow-up.

Yes, its a major surgery.
You may need to be admitted in hospital for several days,may be near about a week.Of course, rest will be required for some time thereafter.

Every surgery may have some complications.Although I am a neurologist and a neurosurgeon would be better person to comment on this,still,I can give you a priliminary knowledge. Infrequently, visual problems,damage to normal part of pituitary glands,severe bleeding,brain infections,CSF rhinorrhea can occur because of this surgery.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng