What does my MRI scan report indicate?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Jul 2016 in Lump
Question: My recent MRI states that I have a partially empty sells. I recently had a crushing facial injury. Shattered orbit' broke nose and cheek. Had surgery, still numb, fluid dripping out of my nose. I am a 64 year old female. How does this impact my life?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Empty Sella Syndrome.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
Of the two main factors in your narration,i feel most important is dripping nose.This is probably CSF rhinorrhea. This is important and the surgeon has to plug the opening urgently.As this may lead to retrograde infection. Just make sure that the surgeon knows this is happening.
Second is Empty Sella Syndrome. or ESS. This is usually a incidental finding and usually asymptomatic. There are no complaints.
Since you have had big repair surgery and everything is ok other than CSF through nose which is to be tackled.Partially empty sella is not related to your injury.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 11 hours later
Could this ESS cause severe headaches. I do suffer with migraines but since my accident my temple is still numb. If I turn around in my sleep and lay in that side, it wakes me with pain. I can't hardly touch any part of my temple, it really hurts. I appreciate your input. I will use it to determine what questions to ask my physicians. I am also involved in a lawsuit re: my fall. Are you sure this is not a result of the fall. My last MRI did not make mention of ESS.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Empty sella syndrome

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Good of you to get back to me.

Usually ESS is asymptomatic. In a small no.of cases there may be headache. In your case headache may be related to your injuries. Otherwise these headaches should have been there before injury. Headaches can always be precipitated by multiple injuries. This is usually difficult to differentiate.

Any further issue, do get back to me.Brief Answer:
ESS

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome !
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 27 minutes later
Thank you.