Recurring lump between breasts on sternum. Diagnosed as sebaceous cyst. Applying BNT ointment. Suggestions?

I have a recurring lump between my breasts on my sternum, from time to time it goes down and then comes up. It lies beneath the skin and not on top where it can be seen. At times it gives discomfort. A doctor told me it was a sebaceous cyst and only removable by surgery but it is not serious. But of course once surgery is mentioned i begin to panic. Can this lead to something serious? The doctor gave me a BNT antibiotic ointment to apply but I'm moreso concerned, so can this really lead to something serious
Thu, 2 May 2013