Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Pus-filled bump on head. What is it?

I had a bump on my head that was soft and the size of a quarter. Its been there for years. All of a sudden it started to grow. I popped it with a needle after sterilizing, alot of puss like stuff came out or it. Then i put medicine on it and left it alone. After a week or so, woke up this morning and it was leaking clear fluid with puss again. I went in the bathroom and squeezed it again and more puss came out. I wanted to get it all out and squeezed it real hard and a big ol rubbery bag came out that look like a small shrimp. What is this?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  194
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi jonathan,
Thanks for writing in.
The rash you are describing can be sebaceous cyst ,infected lipoma,folliculitis etc.
Keep the area clean and dry.

You can apply Neosporin ointment over the area.

Sebaceous cyst is more likely as it suits your description.
Rubbery bag you mention can be wall of the cyst.
It can reoccur if not treated properly.
Its better to remove it under aseptic condition for permanent cure.

I encourage you to visit a qualified dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Hope this helps.

Answered: Sun, 21 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor