Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Pregnant, burnt roof of mouth after eating hot chocolate, teeth soreness. What can fix this?

Hello, I ve done something really silly and burned the roof of my mouth just behind my front teeth with hot chocolate the area is very red/purple and extremely painful!! I m unable to eat anything and my teeth feel sore and sensitive now!! I have been advised by a pharmacy not to use bonjela cool as I am 20 weeks pregnant and the ingredient is not safe to be using? How long will it take to heal is there anything I can use safely to ease the discomfort??
Asked On : Thu, 13 Dec 2012
Answers:  8 Views:  360
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Use lukewarm saline water gargles a couple of times per day. That would be best since you are pregnant. You can also use a little bit of lignocaine jel over the burnt area after consultation with your gynecologist. Burns over the roof of the mouth tend to heal rapidly so that the whole area should be healed within about a week or so unless the burn was quite severe and extended quite deep in which event it might take a bit longer.
Answered: Thu, 13 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
I read your problem,I would like to tell you that oral burns will take 7-10 day to heal completely.
So nothing to get worried,it will get heal itself with in a week.
If you hae lots of pain you can use mucopain.
Take Care
Dr. Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Fri, 14 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Burns over the mucosa of mouth heals very rapidly it takes a time of almost 7-10 days to heal completely.

Since you are pregnant you can apply Dologel oral ointment topically over the affected area after consulting your OBGYN.

Take lukewarm saline gargles 3-4 times a day to give soothing and numbing effect.
Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated.
Maintain a good oral hygiene and use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Sat, 20 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Chaithanyaa Nemaly's  Response
Hello there....Any injury (chemical/thermal) in that particular region is really painful....You will surely have your papilla ( soft tissue behind your upper incisors) swollen. That is the reason for your discomfort and pain. You can use a gum astringent with lignocaine in it...that would take care of the pain and the discomfort you are experiencing,....There is no contraindication for pregnant woman to use a gum astringent with lignocaine... Massage the area 3-4 times a day...This would surely help you....Dont worry and good luck...
Answered: Mon, 17 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

You have burnt your oral mucosa behind your upper front teeth due to hot injury.
You may have developed ulceration in the area and this can be treated by symptomatic treatment.

i would suggest you to go for symptomatic treatment at home like gargling with lukewarm saline water or antiseptic mouthwash like chlorhexidine or betadine.

Apply oral antiseptic ,analgesic ointments like dentogel or mucogel topically over the affected area.

start with multivitamin supplements for 7 to 10 days and vitamin C lozenges will help in resolving the problem.

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Mon, 22 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
Try these home remedies for treating the sores in the mouth’s roof and the palate:
*Water forms the best remedy for burns. Drinking cold water is always recommended after you experience such a burn. Additionally, holding the water in the mouth for some time will also be helpful to soothe the burn.
*Ice cubes must be rubbed over the area for relief and for avoiding swelling and pain.
*When convenient, gargles and regular rinsing with salt water also provides relief. The salt water serves to be an antiseptic and frees the area of any infection; while leeching out the excess fluids.
*Rinsing mouth with cold milk also provides relief as it forms a coating over the affected area.
Answered: Sat, 15 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I would like to tell you that burnt area will heal within 10-15 days by itself.You don't need to worry much about that.Still you can use dentogel for temporary relief but spit saliva that comes after application.Nothing much to worry about.

Take Care
Answered: Sun, 16 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for writing in.
Since you are 20 weeks pregnant,its better to avoid heavy dosage medicines.
Apply anaesthetic gel on the affected site.
apply ice /cold packs to relieve pain.
Take plenty of water and fluids.
Intake of hot/spicy foods has to be limited.
usually such burns heals after 1 week.
I wish you good health.
Take care.
Answered: Mon, 22 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor