Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Painful lump in the groin area getting bigger. Should I be worried?

Hi I do not have any money (that is why I am looking up symptoms on the internet), and I have a VERY painfull lump in the crease of my thigh and groin area. I am concerned because it is getting bigger and more painful. I am scared to find out what it is, but no clear answers here. Can you help? Take in mind also that I am a single mother of 5 and my children need me.
Asked On : Mon, 27 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  291
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, welcome to healthcare magic

The lump can be a number of things such as: (1) as a result of infection of a hair follicle which can result in folliculitis, if the infection spreads to deeper under the skin and to surrounding tissues . Folliculitis can be associated with pain, swelling and redness. It is treated with hot moist compresses to encourage drainage and the use of topical antibiotics which you can get over the counter
(2) enlarged lymph node- lymph nodes are present in different parts of the body and generally respond to infections according to where it is located. In some cases the lymph node itself may become infected.
If infected it will also cause pain, swelling,redness and fever
(3) lipomas (collection of fat cells though usually not painful), fibromas (scar tissue can also cause pain)
(4) Abscess it a collection of pus,it may occur as a result of the folliculits or due to another cause- definative treatment is drainage of the abscess. They usually present with this painful, red mass, which may be fluctuant (can be compressed slightly)

If it appears to be follicultitis you can attempt home treatment first however is this fails or the lesion worsens you may need to see a doctor.
You may also want to try using some antiinflammatory drugs for the pain, these can often be obtained over the counter.

If the pain worsens or the mass continues to enlarge or you develop other concerning symptoms then you need to see your doctor as soon as possible

I hope this helps you and I hope you feel better
Answered: Mon, 27 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor