Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Pain under the rib cage, nausea. Had EGD and colonoscopy done. Tortuous colon. What is the treatment?

I sure hope you can help me. I am having severe pain and nausea . I have pain under the right side of my rib cage. I have had an ultrasound that showed no gall stones but the biliary duct was 7mm. I had an ultrasound that showed everything was normal. I had an EGD and a colonoscopy which showed a reddened area in which they biopsied and came back normal and a tortuous colon. I am very scared and i don t think the doctor believes I am having this pain. He has now scheduled me for a hida scan. I feel like I am always bloated without even eating. Every time I eat I get very nauseated.
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  99
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,

Thanks for your query.

From the brief information provided by you, I am of the opinion that you are suffering from :-

* Non-ulcer dyspepsia, along with a bacterial (H.pylori) infection of the stomach + intestine.

* In addition, there is also an element of features suggestive of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) (tortuous colon + constant anxiety).

The recommended, step-by-step, course of action :-

# Take a regular course of a combination of anti-depressant + anti-anxiety drugs, which will drastically cut down the symptoms of IBS.

# 2-3 weeks' course of probiotics, such as, lactobacilli and digestive enzymes.

# A 10-14 days' course of a combination of anti-H.pylori therapy + a pro-kinetic drug, such as domperidone or metoclopramide: followed by (w.e.f. Day 15), a 3-4 months of anti-acid drug such as esomeprazole or rabeprazole. You should be cured completely by the time course finishes.

# A deworming course (Albendazole 400mg single dose).

# In addition, take high fiber diet; lot of water orally; Psyllium husk 10gm daily at bedtime.


Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agrees with me, order required tests (if any), and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable treatment as advised.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” (5-star rating) to my answer, to ENCOURAGE all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Answered: Mon, 25 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor