Suggest diet for diverticulitis attack with pain and nauses

Dr. Enrique Molina

Posted on Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Question: I have diverticulitis attack at the moment. I have pain and nausea. What can I eat or drink?
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Theflynns1, Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, I am assuming you have been through this pain attacks before as you are stating it is "diverticulitis". If the pain is mild, usually the first thing I would suggest i having bowel rest, by just drinking clear liquids (liquids which you can see through). Keep in mind that diverticulitis can get complicated by abdominal abscesses and the bowel can even perforate, so it is always advisable to seek medical attention and get a physical examination and possibly some sort of abdominal imaging. Antibiotics are usually prescribed for diverticulitis attacks. It is also advisable to get a colonoscopy a few weeks after the attack (between 4 to 8 weeks after) if you haven't done so yet in the past. Smoking and high fat diet increase the chances of developing diverticula. High fiber diet are supposed to help prevent diverticulosis (studies yield mixed results), however there is no specific diet that has been proven to help during diverticulitis attacks, and again bowel rest is the best first thing to do. if you develop fevers or severe abdominal pain please seek immediate medical attention. i hope that answers your question. let me know if you have any other concerns.
Follow up: Dr. Enrique Molina 3 hours later
I had a cat scan yesterday showing diverticulitis. Now I have dry heaves and vomiating.
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Go to the hospital Detailed Answer: these symptoms are concerning and you should go to the hospital to get intravenous hydration and possibly intravenous antibiotics. symptoms may worsen if you don't do so...