Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Suggest diet for diverticulitis attack with pain and nauses

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 364 Questions
I have diverticulitis attack at the moment. I have pain and nausea. What can I eat or drink?
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Theflynns1, Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, I am assuming you have been through this pain attacks before as you are stating it is "diverticulitis". If the pain is mild, usually the first thing I would suggest i having bowel rest, by just drinking clear liquids (liquids which you can see through). Keep in mind that diverticulitis can get complicated by abdominal abscesses and the bowel can even perforate, so it is always advisable to seek medical attention and get a physical examination and possibly some sort of abdominal imaging. Antibiotics are usually prescribed for diverticulitis attacks. It is also advisable to get a colonoscopy a few weeks after the attack (between 4 to 8 weeks after) if you haven't done so yet in the past. Smoking and high fat diet increase the chances of developing diverticula. High fiber diet are supposed to help prevent diverticulosis (studies yield mixed results), however there is no specific diet that has been proven to help during diverticulitis attacks, and again bowel rest is the best first thing to do. if you develop fevers or severe abdominal pain please seek immediate medical attention. i hope that answers your question. let me know if you have any other concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest diet for diverticulitis attack with pain and nauses 3 hours later
I had a cat scan yesterday showing diverticulitis. Now I have dry heaves and vomiating.
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Go to the hospital Detailed Answer: these symptoms are concerning and you should go to the hospital to get intravenous hydration and possibly intravenous antibiotics. symptoms may worsen if you don't do so...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor