Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Pain in the arms and face, numb fingers, hair loss. Swelling in the face and body. Under active thyroid, high cholesterol. Any help?

I have all the sign of a under active thyroid. My hair is falling out around my face especially. I am so stiff. I am having pain in my arms, mostly my elbows. My fingers are going numb and tingling. My hips, if I sit to long hurt when I go to stand again and at night when trying to roll over sometimes they pop and it is extremely painful. I am fatigued, I have no energy. I am swelling mainly in my upper body, hands and face. My tongue is so fat, that it looks like I have dents in the side of it. I have no drive anymore. My cholesterol is high. My weight has just been increasing. Although, I have not increased my food intake. Actually, I have decreased it. The Practioner even said it sounded like thyroid, but because my TSH test results were within normal range they pay me absolutely no mind. I am so frustrated, and it is really starting to depress me.
Asked On : Sun, 31 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  35
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hi there, thanks for asking. I think you should go to an endocrinologist to see which kind of hypothyroidism you probably have. In some kinds of low thyroid function which are not common, TSH would be in the normal range. The doctor may ask for sonography of the thyroid tissue and biopsy if needed to see if there is any issue with your gland. There also another form of hypothyroid function named (sick euthyroid syndrome) in which TSH is normal. In those people conversion of thyroid hormone to active form in the tissues is problematic. If all tests are normal, you may treat your depression first. Best wishes.
Answered: Sun, 31 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychologist Dr. K. V. Anand's  Response
Dec 2015
You need to consult a good psychologist for counseling.
If your test result is norml and your physician is not doubtful, then why worry?
If not satisfied, find a physician of your choice and get his advice.
If required get another thyroid test done under his advice.
Find out if there is another underlying cause.
You should talk to your physicn elaborately and know about the problem.
If he also tells the same thing as the one you mentioned, just forget it.
Being health conscious is good, not health anxious.
Wish success.
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Not all the features are typical of thyroid
A single TSH measurement may not rule out thyroid
You have not stated your age, gender, personal habits, family history or co-morbidities

You have to see an Endocrinologist.
You need more tests for thyroid.
You need more tests for other problems too

You also seem to have Depression
Psychiatric assessment and assistance can help...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor