Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

On medicines for liver cirrhosis, has bloating. What other than Aldactone will be effective?

My father is taking Aldactone right now and the doctor told us that he should take livolin forte. My father had been medicated for liver cirrhosis which the doctors said his condition will only give him a max of 6 months life. Right now his ascites is causing his abdomen to bloat. Can you tell me what medicine could be more effective to discharge the fluids faster than aldactone?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  86
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
Your father is having Liver Cirrhosis due to this he is having ascitis in this disease accumulation of fluid in peritoneal cavity,just reducing fluid in abdomen may not be enough,if it is causing discomfort paracentesis may be done which is removal of fluid by needle aspiration.
Please consult Gastroenterologist and there are many medicines which can be need to check his serum protein level and if it is low blood or salt free Albumin may be useful.
If this disease is due to Alcohol please make sure he is not taking alcohol.
If he is compensated and takes care he should continue to do well,see no one can predict the eventuality.
Please take care.
Good Luck.
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Ascites is a major complication of cirrhosis.
The development of ascites is an important landmark in the natural history of cirrhosis as it is associated with a 50% mortality over two years,and signifies the need to consider liver transplantation as a therapeutic option.

Firstline treatment of ascites should be spironolactone alone, increasing from 100 mg/day to a dose of 400 mg/day.
If this fails to resolve ascites, frusemide should be added in a dose of up to 160 mg/day, but this should be done with careful biochemical and clinical monitoring.

Patients with large or refractory ascites are usually initially managed by repeated large volume paracentesis

You must consult a gastroenterologist surgeon and explore the possibility of liver transplant,which is the most ideal treatment,if it is possible in your father.
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor