Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

My son has a leaky aortic valve. Does he need a surgery?

My son has a leaky aortic valve, and MAY need a replacement sometime in the next few years?
Can anyone tell me whether or not he will be able to play sports (football, baseball, ride roller coasters etc...) after he has this done? I obviously want him to have this done if he needs it however I am going to be so sad for him if he cant participate in things as other kids his age do? Does anyone know?
Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
  User's Response
After my ex-husband had an aortic valve replacement, due to a birth defect, he was able to be more physically active than ever in his life. You understand that this doesn't necessarily mean that your son will have the same outcome, only that it MAY be a possibility. Your greatest concern should be whether he will need to take the drug Warfarin (Coumidin), or some other powerful blood thinner. People taking these drugs definitely must avoid contact sports and many other activities, as well as have frequent blood tests.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor